All employers who employ more than 50 employees or who have a turnover in excess of certain amounts detailed per industry in the Employment Equity Act are legally required to comply with Chapter
III of the Employment Equity Act (Affirmative Action section), whilst all employers regardless of their size and turnover are obligated to comply with Chapter II (dealing with Unfair Discrimination) of the Act.
Failure to comply with the Employment Equity Act can result in penalties ranging from R1.5m to 2% of company turnover. Compliance is also a prerequisite to earn B-BBEE points on the Management Control scorecard.
Most employers are aware of the requirement to report on-line annually to the Department of Labour regarding their Employment Equity statistics, but many are unaware that compliance involves not just annual reporting but also extensive consulting and planning with a workplace consultative forum.
We facilitate and manage this process for our clients to ensure compliance.
Skills Development Facilitation: Through our structured and hands-on approach to Skills Development, People Partners assists our clients to up-skill their employee’s effectively and in accordance with their business needs.
Furthermore, we manage and monitor the process of grant refunds from the relevant SETA and secure additional discretionary or PIVOTAL funding where possible. As a result, our clients find that our services often pay for themselves!
More and more companies are prioritising the need for transformation in their businesses but need expert guidance, knowledge and support to progress effectively on their journey and to translate this into a favourable B-BBEE scorecard.
We believe that a strategic and integrated approach is required to achieve and to maintain a good B-BBEE scorecard. Once achieved, strategies need to be in place to maintain or improve the scorecard.
Why use QPS as your B-BEE Consultants
- We offer deep knowledge and B-BBEE expertise across all industries. As the field of B-BBEE is still relatively fluid, we pride ourselves on keeping up to date with legislation and work closely with a number of verification rating agencies nationally to ensure that we stay on top of the latest interpretations.
- We understand and approach B-BBEE from various perspectives including a business, legal and people perspective. Our background and experience in business strategy, human resources and labour law is a distinct advantage.
- We go beyond simply arms-length advising and ‘ticking the boxes’. We take a partnering approach and are ‘hands-on’ and involved in the implementation of B-BBEE and transformation solutions.
- We make an effort to really understand our client’s business and provide solutions that are appropriate, practical and make business sense.
- We follow a partnering philosophy and have a wide referral network. This helps us to be innovative and find the best possible solutions and offer excellent service.
- Preparation of the B-BBEE file for submission for verification and assistance throughout the process.
Our Ten-Step Methodology
- Gaining an understanding of the company’s objectives.
- Gathering of information and calculation of a “present state” indicative scorecard for analysis purposes.
- Gap Analysis to identify opportunities to improve the B-BBEE scorecard and meet the company’s objectives.
- B-BBEE Planning and strategising with the client.
- Implementation, regular monitoring and re-strategising where necessary
- Integration with Skills Development and Employment Equity plans, reports and strategies.
- Collation of evidence in electronic format along the way to avoid a big rush at the end of the financial period.
- Coordination of verification process at the end of the financial period.
- Final collation of electronic data and submission to verification rating agency.
- Representation at the on-site verification and through-out the process until certification.
Our 'hands-on' approach to B-BBEE
- Ownership: Where appropriate, we can recommend various strategies and opportunities to address the ownership element of the scorecard in compliance with the spirit of the legislation. Where this involves the drafting of agreements or Trust Deed’s for Employee Share Ownership Schemes or Broad-Based Ownership schemes, our legal partners SSA are able to assist.
- Management Control: In addition to making recommendations regarding the structure of the Board of Directors, we reassess employment levels in line with job content, decision-making responsibility and salary levels as well as ensuring that employment contracts and supporting documentation are in place. Critically, we also ensure that our clients are compliant with the provisions of the Employment Equity Act and take them through the implementation, consulting, planning, and reporting process where required.
- Skills Development: Where required, we assist our clients as their external Skills Development Facilitator and ensure that they are compliant with the provisions of the Skills Development Act and submit an annual
- Workplace Skills Plan and Annual Training Report to their SETA annually. In addition, we make recommendations regarding appropriate training providers and learning institutions, establish appropriate learnership, assist with recruitment of interns and ensure that the correct documentation is in place as supporting evidence.
- Procurement: We assist our clients to understand their procurement scorecard and brainstorm strategies to improve their scorecard where necessary. Furthermore, we maintain an extensive database of B-BBEE certificates and assist our clients to source certificates where necessary.
- Supplier, enterprise and socio-economic development programmes: We collaborate with our clients to develop appropriate supplier, enterprise and socio-economic development programmes and draft all the necessary contracts, documentation and acknowledgements along the way. In addition, we are able to tap into our extensive network to make recommendations as to appropriate organisations to partner with where necessary.
HR RISK MANAGEMENT
Organisations need a more integrated approach to managing business risks. They need to consider HR risks in every major business decision. Failing to manage HR risks may threaten the sustainability of organisations.
Developing and implementing effective HR Risk Management strategies can lead to significant business opportunities and allow the organisation to ensure that HR risk management is embedded in the overall governance and management strategies of the company.
The world is increasingly becoming a global village with employees looking for experience and exposure across countries and environments. The importance of a partner to assist with international location and set up of such movements is paramount to the success of international mobility. QPS can also assist with legal enquiries or international regulations, as well as global best-practices.
HR LEGAL MATTERS
The South African labour market is impacted by a vast array of complex employment laws, and one of the primary responsibilities of HR is to be aware of and keep up to date with labour legislation.
QPS’s labour lawyers support you through this often-complex process and assist with all aspects of employee relations, advice on procedural fairness, charge formulation, drafting of procedurally fair documentation to more complex issues such as chairing disciplinary hearings as a neutral party and delivering an appropriate sanction.
- Discipline, dismissal and corrective action
- Drafting and implementation of policies and procedures
- Drafting of employment contracts and other written employment agreements
- Legal compliance audits
Through people enablement, we aim to provide a solution to better utilise the resources that people bring into the business. We do this by understanding the skills required in the business and determining the best possible ways to attract and retain such skills through unique motivational identification.
Through effective people management we assist clients’ understanding of each employee and the value they bring to the organisation. We can assist through effective selection, coaching, training and employee management processes in your organisation.
- Career plans
- Competency design
- Psychometric assessments
- Recruitment and selection
- Succession management
- Talent management
- Training and development
People effectiveness is the establishment and maintenance of a process through which employees work as effectively and productively as possible through standards, methods and processes put in place. This service offering focuses on how employees can work smarter, without necessarily working harder.
We assist clients through establishing good policies and processes by using various industry benchmarks. By understanding what it is that makes an employee engage, we can better predict work behaviour and thus work towards a more productive and successful workforce.
- Assessment centers
- Compile and create Job profiles
- Employee engagement survey
- Executive and leadership assessment
- HR diagnosis and survey
- HR metrics
- Incentive scheme design
- Performance management
- Remuneration benchmarking and management
Get In Touch to Work with Us.